Johan Bernhardsson, the fella in charge of the development of MCPE, held a Q&A on TwitchTV* a couple of days ago and it was a mix of good & disappointing news. This is the link to the 22 minute long video but below is my list of high, and low, -lights: http://www.twitch.tv/jbernhardsson/c/2107816
- Realms is coming meaning real multiplayer is almost here in turn meaning I can play online with my son when work sends me away from home. I have no idea how much this will cost me so if it’s a lot (over £5 a month) I’ll probably not do it, but until I see all the details I can’t say for sure. One thing that does put me off this a little is that the PE version still won’t match the PC version in terms of functionality for a very long time so I don’t want to be paying for a sub-standard product.
- Chat is coming, albeit not in the next update it will be soon after.
- Better inventory saving when leaving worlds.
- Redstone is coming, again not in the next update.
- New skins will be coming! I think we might have to buy them, but I’m not sure.
- New UI with settings you can use in game rather than having to quit each time.
- Endermen might be popping up (ho ho) soon!
- Caves & big worlds will be on the cards sometime this year – at bloody last, I say!
- Minecarts sometime this year, probably linked to the last point.
- A camera function is coming (although there is no date and they see it as a small feature – I’m sure many of the players would disagree).
- No drag & drop crafting because they can’t make it work properly. I wonder how Kaalus manages it in Survivalcraft – with a recipe list too!
- No crouching because they can’t get that to work either. Erm, have they seen Survivalcraft’s crouching button? How complicated do they want to make their crouching?
- No running because they can’t figure out how to implement it. Maybe they can ask Kaalus how he’s managed to get three speeds for his horses in Survivalcraft 😀
- No redstone yet – seriously, what the hell? Surviavalcraft has a robust & complex electricity system so what is holding up MC’s redstone system?
- Still no caves! *Ahem* Survivalcraft’s massive cave systems anyone?
- No fire or buckets yet. Why? Survivalcraft has them both!
- No sky updates, no weather updates. Survivalcraft has wonderful storms. Not to mention a rather lovely sky 🙂
- No texture pack support – again, someone at Mojang should call Kaalus because Survivalcraft manages it.
- Mojang see a flexible camera function as a small deal. I disagree because I love taking screenshots and Survivalcraft makes this easy.
- No animal breeding for the foreseeable future.
- Smooth lighting. So what. I’m much more interested in sky and weather effects.
- Music this year. Ho hum. I would probably turn it off anyway.
- No enchanting planned for a very long time. Oh well. Let’s get redstone running first, shall we?
Those are my thoughts – what do you lot think, leave a comment below.
*Wow, TwitchTV sucks on both my phone and my tablet. Way to go, Twitch! App deleted.