The roots of the Gang Wars story lie back in the many other stories written in Steelhead. From the kindap & murder of poor Li Fe in ”Creaky Gloom” to the assassination attempt on the Dragon Lady in ”Steal Head” the criminal gangs (or, more importantly, their corrosive effect on the communities of Shanghai) have been evident. I invented the Tong as a foil for my Dr Beck stories, a boogieman to provide him with something to fight against in his efforts to help the poor of Shamian Alley. I always hoped they would be used by other writers and storytellers to add colour to the city but I couldn’t have hoped for the interest that led to the Gang Wars story.
Although the Tong first made an appearance in my darkly comic & noir-esque tale Goodunnit where a Tong fence meets a very nasty end at the hands, or rather the mouth, of the Tong’s most feared killer The Voice it wasn’t until Darien Mason had them meet an angel one dark night that I began to hope they would have a life beyond my own scribblings…
- Chang, Shayu & Fan meet a mysterious winged figure in Shamian Link .
- The three Tong thugs force Dr Beck to treat their wounds following their beating.
- The next morning, Dr Beck nurses his injuries.
- The Tong make a move against the Dragon Lady.
- The Yakuza Queen moves into town.
- The Yakuza Queen plans and plots.
- The Yakuza Queen draws her troops around her.
- The Yakuza Queen addresses her people.
- The Yazuza Queen discusses, among other things, laundry.
- A War Starts.
- An enterprising network is formed.
- The Yakuza Queen visits the laundry.
- The Yakuza Queen discusses shipping and the workings of steam engines.
- In Shanghai harbour, a ship is sunk in a terrible accident.
- Over at Antfarm Lumber Supplies, vandals have been at work.
- The sheriff looks into the ship’s sinking.
- An OOC call for help with the Gang Wars storyline.
- Dr Beck takes a deadly decision.
- The Tong meet to discuss the Dragon and rumours she has hired an assassin.
- Meile is forced to leave her home and the Tong enforcer Chang meets his end at the hands of the mysterious Jonny O.
- The Yakiza Queen hears of Chang’s murder.
- The Voice & The Goose visit the body.
- Against all odds, Dr Beck opens the door to be told Chang’s body has be found.
- A poster written in Latin spells trouble for all parties.
- Dr Beck reads the Fox Battalion’s poster.
- Chang’s body draws a crowd.
- The Yakuza Queen pays a personal visit to see the body and learns of the Fox Battalion.
- The Ning Guide to Shanghai.
- RP ideas in Shanghai.
- More RP ideas for Shanghai.
- My first ideas on the Tong over on the Steelhead Ning.
- The minutes from Aoi’s first meeting about RPing the Gang Wars story.
- Dr Beck’s nemesis… the Bing Kong Tong!.
- Some of Dr Beck’s RP background.
- Some more of Dr Beck’s RP background.